Novi Spousal Support Lawyer
Experienced Representation in Complex Divorces
For many people who are going through a divorce, the subject of alimony or spousal support can be overwhelming. This is a decision that can have a lasting impact on your financial and personal life. Spousal support arguments can be difficult for all parties involved in the process.
Having the representation of an accomplished Novi spousal support lawyer can ensure your best interests and rights are safeguarded every step of the way. The Law Offices of Elaine Stypula has helped many clients through especially complex spousal support cases and divorces and are committed to securing optimal results.
Some of the different types of alimony a spouse might be awarded include:
- Permanent: If a couple was married for a substantial amount of time or the receiving spouse has a disability, permanent alimony might be awarded, which would remain in effect until the death of either party or if the recipient remarries.
- Gross: If gross alimony is awarded, the paying spouse must pay the full amount in a single lump sum.
- Rehabilitative support: To assist the supported spouse for a short amount of time, a judge might grant rehabilitative support. The supported spouse can use these payments to return to school and find gainful employment.
We are here to help establish a better future for our clients. Call our firm at (248) 565-3800.
Spousal Support Considerations in Michigan
The court reviews specific factors in alimony decisions, including:
- How long the parties were married
- The ages of both parties
- The health and needs of each party
- Each party's current financial situation
- The standard of living during marriage
- Each party’s ability to work
Modifications to Support Arrangements
If you have experienced a change in your financial situation, you can appeal to the court for a modification. However, if you have agreed to spousal support that cannot be modified, you will normally not be able to change the arrangement. Spousal support payments usually come to an end when the party receiving payment re-marries.
Understanding the Different Types of Alimony
When it comes to spousal support, there are various types of alimony that a spouse might be awarded depending on the specific circumstances of the divorce. Some of the different types of alimony include:
- Temporary alimony: This type of alimony is awarded during the divorce process to provide financial support to the lower-earning spouse until a final support arrangement is determined.
- Rehabilitative alimony: This type of alimony is awarded to help the lower-earning spouse become self-supporting, typically by providing financial assistance for education, training, or job placement.
- Permanent alimony: In some cases, a court may award permanent alimony to a spouse who is unable to become self-supporting due to age, illness, or disability.
- Lump-sum alimony: Instead of monthly payments, a court may award a one-time lump sum payment as alimony.
It's important to have an experienced family law attorney on your side to help navigate the complexities of alimony and ensure that your rights are protected. Our team at the Law Offices of Elaine Stypula has the expertise to provide you with the experienced legal representation you need during this challenging time.
Call Our Firm for Experienced Legal Representation: (248) 565-3800
Our lead attorney has more than 20 years of experience and utilizes her vast experience to help guide clients through complex family law situations. We are determined to figure out what our client’s goals, concerns, and needs are.
By focusing exclusively on family law and divorce issues, our clients are able to receive diligent and dedicated legal counsel. At the Law Offices of Elaine Stypula, we help you build a better future by obtaining a fair support arrangement so you can live comfortably.
“I really appreciated that she listened”- Anil K.
“Fantastic, competent, reliable, problem solver, and most importantly- human.”
“Elaine is an amazing person who really cares”- Pamela Y.
“Kind and compassionate”- Sherry
“Elaine is very reliable and efficient.”