If you are getting a divorce, you are making the right choice by looking into hiring an attorney to guide you through the process. However, if this is your first time handling a legal matter, you might not know where to start when it comes to hiring skilled legal representation. Asking the right questions during your initial consultation will help you choose the right family law attorney for your needs. Continue reading to learn more about the best questions you should ask when hiring a divorce attorney.
Interviewing Prospective Attorneys
When hunting for a divorce attorney, you should focus your attention on those who solely practice family law. Those who take on a variety of cases in other areas of practice will not have as much experience in handling family law matters, which is what you will want your attorney to be well-versed in. Never underestimate the value of an attorney whose career and experience are focused on family law.
Below are some of the questions you should ask your prospective divorce attorney:
- How many years of experience do you have in practicing family law? Once again, experience is a crucial factor in choosing a divorce attorney, so find out if your prospective attorney is a beginner or a veteran.
- How many cases have you handled that were similar to mine? Not all divorce cases are alike. For example, if yours involves domestic violence, you will want an attorney with experience in handling such issues.
- How do you plan on settling my divorce case? Are you looking for an aggressive attorney or one who will help facilitate a smoother divorce with minimal hostility? You will want to make sure you and your divorce attorney are on the same page in terms of strategy. You might even learn that a different strategy might better address your needs.
- How do you communicate with your clients? Staying in touch with your divorce attorney is important and you should expect regular updates about your case, so find out how they communicate this information.
- How much is your retainer? Knowing how much your attorney charges will likely be an important decision-making factor, so find out what their retainer is and understand the law firm’s billing practices.
Your choice of divorce attorney can make a profound difference in the outcome of your divorce case, so handle this process with care.
Schedule an Initial Consultation with Our Experienced Divorce Attorney
At the Law Offices of Elaine Stypula, our divorce attorney is committed to helping families navigate some of the most sensitive legal issues, such as divorce. With more than 20 years of legal experience and a Master’s in Psychology, you can rely on our attorney to provide knowledgeable advice and invaluable psychological insight to help you move forward into the next chapter of your life. We also understand how difficult this experience must be for you, which is why we seek to promptly return your calls.
Learn more about how we can assist you by reaching outto us at (248) 565-3800 to schedule an initial consultation.